The Healthy Communities Initiative is a $31 million investment from the Government of Canada to support communities as they create and adapt public spaces to respond to the new realities of COVID-19.
The second round of the Healthy Communities Initiative is now open. Funding of $5,000 to $250,000 is available for projects that help create safe and vibrant public spaces, improve mobility options, and provide digital solutions to help their neighbourhoods or communities navigate the pandemic and look to build back better in the COVID-19 recovery. A variety of community-led organizations are eligible to apply, including local governments, charities, Indigenous communities, and registered non-profit organizations.
Projects funded as part of the Healthy Communities Initiative will:
- respond to identified needs arising from impacts of COVID-19;
- create and adapt public spaces, and programming and services for public spaces in the public interest;
- demonstrate consideration of and connections with the community;
- serve and be accessible to the public and/or a community disproportionately impacted by COVID-19; and,
- fall within the three Healthy Communities Initiative theme areas.
Examples of eligible projects include pop-up bike paths, community gardens, art installations or Wi-Fi hot spots.
Application deadline: June 25, 2021 at 9:00pm AT
Visit healthycommunitiesinitiative.ca to apply, find resources for applicants, and sign up for community mobilization sessions.