The Healthy Communities Initiative is a $31 million investment from the Government of Canada to support communities as they create and adapt public spaces to respond to the new realities of COVID-19.
Eligibility: A broad range of organizations including local governments, charities, Indigenous communities and nonprofits are all welcome to apply for funding.
Funding can be used for adapting public spaces, or for programming or services that respond to COVID-19 and serve the public or a community disproportionately impacted by COVID-19.
Projects funded as part of the Healthy Communities Initiative will:
- respond to identified needs arising from impacts of COVID-19;
- create and adapt public spaces, and programming and services for public spaces in the public interest;
- demonstrate consideration of and connections with the community;
- serve and be accessible to the public and/or a community disproportionately impacted by COVID-19; and,
- fall within the three Healthy Communities Initiative theme areas.
Examples of eligible projects include pop-up bike paths, community gardens, art installations or Wi-Fi hot spots.
A comprehensive list of examples can be found in the Applicant Guide.
Application Process: Organizations can apply to the Healthy Communities Initiative by Tuesday, March 9, 2021 at 9:00pm AT.
Visit healthycommunitiesinitiative.ca to apply, find resources for applicants, and sign up for community mobilization sessions.